Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What's in a name?

For safety reasons, I will not give my whole names but describe the importance to each. My first names comes from my dad. If I was a boy, I would have been a junior. Whenever, I tell my friends this, they always get confused because I have an older brother. In popular culture, the oldest comes the junior. However, my brother was names after my uncle who passed away at 18 years old. Also, my three older siblings first name form my uncle's initials. Most people are unaware of my middle name because it is not my favorite. Now, I am able to embrace its meaning as it is the maiden name of my grandmother. And of course, my last name comes from my dad. My initials are the same as my dad, which makes a special connection to him.

In class, we took Lucy's full name and deceiver it. Lucy coming from Lucifier (page 152), Josephine from a rich uncle, and Potter from a slave owner. Each names depicts something important about Lucy. It does form who she is. Just as anyone of our names form us. Lucy is a common name, but her name gave an explanation that makes the name unique. Also, her last name points out the differences in race. Most people inherit their parent's last night, but she inherited her owners. All names are important and what makes us different. Even if we have the same name, there is only one reason why you were named that.

No comments:

Post a Comment