Monday, February 9, 2009

Girl, Interrupted

During Thursday's class, an important question was posed about whether "The Yellow Wallpaper" was relevant today's world. At that time, I had NO indication that we as society would put an individual into isolation causing them to go insane. (At least that is what Gilman suggested in her writing about isolation.) After class, I realized that maybe something similar to "The Yellow Wallpaper" happens everyday, especially since we were going to watch a recent movie.

After watching Girl, Interrupted, I could see how easily a young lady gets trapped and starts believing she is crazy. I am twenty years old, and I consult my mother for any choice I make. I know that I must take responsibility for my actions and I can sign my life away, but can I really sign myself into a mental institution? Our main character, Susanna, signed on the dotted line without her mother's approval, but did she really know what she was getting herself into? The doctor did say that her mother encouraged it, but I feel like she should have fought more with the doctor. But would you have the guts to go against your doctor's orders?

In the 2000s, could someone become trapped in a mental institution? I really hope not, but then is "The Yellow Wallpaper" out of date? No. Everyday teenagers and twenty years old check into drug and alcohol rehab. Do they really have a problem or are some being forced by their doctors? Please note: if you need help rehab is the right choice. But when does alcoholism become alcoholism? If you are twenty-one or older and you have a couple drinks a night, are you consider an alcoholic? If you choose not to attend college and pursue other dreams and maybe have a couple of drinks now and than, are you an alcoholic? All of this sounds so familiar to Susanna's situation.

She had a mental breakdown, which many of us have during exam week. Does that mean you have to check into rehab? Of course not.

As a side note, please read everything you sign because your signature bonds you to that document.

1 comment:

  1. You raise a number of important points about the "blurry" areas between things. Which also makes me think of the theme of borders in the film: borderline personality, bars, "grounds privileges," the underground tunnels, etc.

    ReplyDelete