Sunday, February 22, 2009

Olivier and Smith's version

The room is dark with the white clothing of Othello and Desdemona appearing bright in the scene. The actions of the actors mirrored what I pictured as the scene was taking place. There were some interesting choice of setting colors and patterns.

First, the bed in which the murder took place was red. Red, in our current society, symbolizes blood and love. On Thursday, we discussed the fact of the white sheet with blood means the marriage is legitimate. By the whole bed being red, the marriage and the love between Othello and Desdemona was real. Also, the red blankets foreshadows death happening. In fact, an audience member may think Othello will kill Desdemona by his sword on his side. Even though Desdemona did not die from a sword, her death was tragic for the audience and Othello.

Second, the curtains around the bed. When depicting the bed in class, our group believed the bed was going to be a four-post bed with a curtain surrounding it. However, the curtains are far from the bed and the audience does not see how they are hanging. By the curtain being further away, it does not create a dramatic effect to Desdemona's maid finding her body. The curtains I feel should have played a more important role in the scene.

Overall, the acting of this version was similar to what I was picturing. However, there were a few props that I believe where different in my reading. But that is the price you play when reading a book and than watching a movie: your image of the scene is different.

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious about your reaction to the film we're watching in class. How has this stayed consistent with or totally stretched what you imagined as the "core plot" of the play?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The movie in class has totally stretched the "core plot" of the play. If I was to watch this movie, without this class, I would think it had nothing to do with Shakespeare. In class, we talk about all the references to Shakespeare in these current movies, but if you are not aware of Shakespeare's reading you have no idea. I know "10 Things I hate about you" is about "Tame of the Shrews," but I have not read this book. So, how can I say the movie and Shakespeare is related.

    Also, I think the main idea of the plot comes through in the movie, but it has changed for me. In my most current post, you will see myself explained

    ReplyDelete