Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"O" Changing for Me

In a comment, I was asked the question if the movie had the same core plot as Othello. Initially, I believe that the plot has changed in some forms. In class, we discussed the idea that we feel more for Hugo than Iago. In the movie, Hugo has this distant father - son relationship. In sports, this distant relationship does occur. Sometimes to overpowering brothers and sisters that have more talent and the parents feel the need to concentrate on the family member doing their best.

Also, in Othello I felt for the character, Othello. He was innocent in the play and fall victim to Iago's tricks. However, in the movie, Odin's I kind of feel he desires what he gets. In the movie, Odin has this "past." They really do not reference it, but as an audience member I felt like he had the choice to play basketball for the school or jail. Yes, the school did play money to get Odin, but who got the money?

Overall, the movie has changed my view about the play. I kind of wonder if I misinterpreted, but that is the risk of reading. You build and image, and sometimes Hollywood's view is different than yours.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that Othello and Odin are depicted quite differently.In the play, Othello has a past but is willing to share it with Desdemona. Hollywood interpretation is very different, Odin's past is dark and secretive... compelling many questions and even assumptions. I feel like Hollywood portrays a visual image and then allows the mind to wander.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The mind to wander..." I never thought of it like that. Hollywood completely did that to Odin until the final scene. You can tell that I had seen the very ending of the movie. I have mixed feelings about allowing us to build the image of Odin and than destroy at least my perspective of him. But then I think about the race image and I put Odin in the sterotpye. The movie makes you realize how easy we assumed that he did drugs.

    ReplyDelete